Jal Mahal Jaipur – All You Need to Know Before You Go
The majestic Jal Mahal or “Water Palace” is one of the most important structures and a major tourist attraction in Rajasthan’s Jaipur. Located on the Man Sagar Lake, Jal Mahal Jaipur was built in 1799 during the reign of Maharaja Sawai Pratap Singh. A hotel in Jaipur near Jal Mahal will be the best choice if you are planning a vacation in Pink City. When you view the Jal Mahal from the bank you might notice the beautiful illusion of a floating structure. Surrounded by four dome-shaped pillars situated on all four sides, the formation of the palace will be extremely appealing if you are an architecture enthusiast.
The best time to visit Jaipur is between the months of November and February when the weather is pleasant and dry. If you love bird-watching and photography, you will surely enjoy the flocks of migratory birds who fly in during the winter. Sit by the Man Sagar lake and wait for the perfect shot. Make sure to plan your visit before the end of February to catch them.
You need to keep a few things in mind before visiting the Jal Mahal Jaipur.
- The Jal Mahal originally has five storeys with only one floor visible at present. The rest of it is submerged.
- In the past, the palace was used as a lodge during the king’s duck-shooting expeditions and was not used as a residence.
- The architectural design of the Jal Mahal is a mixture of both Rajput and Mughal designs. It is a representation of the culture of the time when it was built.
- The palace is not open for public viewing anymore. However, you can catch a good view from the banks of Sagar Lake. You can also take a boat ride on the lake to get a closer look.
- As one is not able to go inside the Mahal, it will take almost an hour to complete a tour of the palace from afar.
- You must visit the banks twice, once in the morning and the second in the evening. The sunrise and the after-dark reflection are both mesmerising.
- Along the banks, there are many local craftsmen who sell handmade traditional Rajasthani jewellery and other beautiful things. Shopping here is definitely an experience you cannot miss.
To experience the real beauty of the Jal Mahal, the best choice would be to book a palace-facing hotel room. 7 Apples has special Jal Mahal-facing deluxe rooms that you can book here. We recommend you choose a room with breakfast and dinner to enjoy the view of the Jal Mahal both in the morning and night from the comfort of your bed.